Room number: B4.110
Phone: +31 15 27 88779
E-mail address: S.Roeser@tudelft.nl
- political philosophy
Prof.dr. S. (Sabine) Roeser
I am Professor of Ethics at TU Delft (distinguished Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Professor). My research covers theoretical, foundational topics concerning the nature of moral knowledge, intuitions, emotions and evaluative aspects of risk, but also urgent and hotly debated public issues on which my theoretical research can shed new light, such as nuclear energy, climate change and public health issues.
I am the head of the Ethics and Philosophy of Technology Section. I have been working at Delft University of Technology since September 2001. From September 2010 through August 2013 I also held a part-time professorship at Twente University (Socrates Chair). I obtained my PhD in 2002 at the Free University, Amsterdam, for my thesis Ethical Intuitions and Emotions: A Philosophical Study. During my PhD-research, I spent two terms abroad: in the Fall term 2000 I studied at the University of Reading with Jonathan Dancy, in the Spring term 1999 I studied at the University of Notre Dame. I hold an M.A.-degree in Philosophy (cum laude, 1997) and an M.A.-degree in Political Science (1998), both from the University of Amsterdam. I did my B.A. in painting at the Academy of Fine Arts, Maastricht (1994).
I am currently co-PI on an NWO-MVI project on Innovating with Values and Emotions (together with Prof.dr. Linda Steg, Groningen; postdocs: dr.ir. Nicole Huijts (TUD) and dr. Nadja Contzen (Groningen), and assistant professor dr. Goda Perlaviciute). I am scientific co-coordinator and Work Package leader of the Horizon 2020 FET-Open project BrainHack, on the role of art and ethics in BNCI technologies, together with Waag Society (Amsterdam) and various other European partners. From July 2010-June 2015 I was head of a research group on Moral Emotions and Risk Politics for which I have received an NWO-VIDI-grant from the Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research (NWO). In 2009-2010 I was a KNAW-NIAS fellow. From 2005-2009 I worked on my NWO-VENI project on risk and emotion.
- Sabine Roeser and Cain Todd (eds.) (2014), Emotion and Value, Oxford University Press
- Sabine Roeser (2012), 'Risk Communication, Moral Emotions and Climate Change', Risk Analysis 32, 1034-1040
- Sabine Roeser (2011), Moral Emotions and Intuitions, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan
- Sabine Roeser (2010), ‘Intuitions, Emotions and Gut Feelings in Decisions about Risks: Towards a Different Interpretation of ‘Neuroethics’’, The Journal of Risk Research 13, pp. 175-190
- Sabine Roeser (2006), ‘The Role of Emotions in Judging the Moral Acceptability of Risks’, Safety Science 44, pp. 689-700